Friday, June 30, 2017

Devotion: I can do all things through Christ

I was on a British Airways flight from London to Denver, Colorado a few years ago. Driving to the airport I was excited about the trip and also a bit concerned, as it was a rather grey rainy day. It was about noon but it was as dark as 6 pm in the winter. I wondered what the flight would be like, as I really hate turbulence.

Anyway, a couple of hours later we had boarded and the flight had taken off. As we began the climb to our cruising altitude the plane started to shake. Not in a dramatic way, but in a way that would make anyone who is afraid of flying lightly clutch their armrest and subtly look around to take cues from other passengers. As I was sitting in a window seat I looked out and it appeared as if the windows were crying, as fat raindrops rapidly slid down the glass. I wasn’t looking forward to sitting on the plane for the next 9 hours. But just a few minutes later (we were definitely still over the UK) as we continued to climb it got even darker when suddenly we burst through the clouds into the brightest sunshine!

The lady sitting next to me (who I, later on, found out was a nun), looking out the window, turned to me and said ‘the sun is always there.’ Wow! That definitely made me think. She said ‘the sun is always there’, I knew she meant the sun, but my mind went to the Son – the Son of God. No matter how dark it gets, the Son is always there.

Living on the outskirts of London, events over the past 3 months can cause someone to question the plans and presence of God. We’ve experienced 4 terrorist attacks, as far as we know at least 100 people including children have died in an avoidable fire because of selfish and wicked decisions made by people at various levels of influence. Politically, we don’t even know exactly where we stand, as the government appears weak, the economy is not as strong as it used to be and people are scared. But through it all, we serve the God who rules and reigns in the affairs of men.

Philipians 4:13 is a familiar scripture telling us that we can do all things through Christ which strengthens us. Despite the uncertainty and turmoil of this perilous world, we can live. We can love. We can have joy. We can serve God wholeheartedly without fear, knowing that His will must be done. He is our strength and shield. No matter how dark it gets, the Son is always there and will be our light if we will look to Him always and put our trust and confidence in Him.

Ufuoma Daniella Ojo is a Software Training Manager and Personal Performance Coach.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for a lovely article. It's a great reminder that God is always there, even in the dark times.

    The flight for me 'to' the UK is always a bit daunting at first, but once I set foot on British soil it's like coming home--love it!

    ReplyDelete