Thursday, December 30, 2010

Preaching the Gospel on the "Big Screen"?



Assuming I've done this correctly, when you read this post I should be in La Jolla (beautiful beach suburb of San Diego) enjoying the San Diego Christian Film Festival. I'm quite excited about this event, not so much because I'm such an avid movie goer but because I'm realistic enough to know that we can expand our horizons and reach many non-readers through this medium. Therefore, I'm learning all I can about it.

Having said that, I'm not naive enough to think it's an easy field to enter. I've had several in the Hollywood crowd poke around my novels with various levels of interest, but no contracts yet. And the more I get to know these Hollywood types (Christians or otherwise), the more I realize that the bottom line in snagging one of those coveted contracts is funding. I've had actors and directors and producers and screenwriters rave about my books and say what wonderful movies they'd make (and I readily agree!), but they all come back to the same point: where to get financial backing.

Frustrating, isn't it? And yet, don't we believe that God truly does own "the cattle on a thousand hills"? I say I believe it; perhaps my faith is being put to the test once again. Perhaps also I'm being forced to face my motives for wanting one of my novels to unfold on the "big screen." How altruistic am I...really? I wonder if I'll come away from the film festival with some clearer thoughts on how to answer that question.

At the same time, as one who believes we Christians are all called to "go into all the world and preach the gospel," I can't help but think this would be a very effective way to do it. If any of you read this when it first posts and I'm still at the festival, will you pray for me that I receive clear direction on how or if I am to proceed on this front? It could be that the answer is just to wait...or to go in an entirely different direction altogether.

Whatever the answer, I know God wants us to "preach the gospel" to any and all who will listen...whether through our words, our actions, our deeds, or our writing. It's wonderful to be connected to such a diverse group of believers who share that divine calling. I am honored to serve in the Kingdom with each and every one of you!

4 comments:

  1. Kathi, I don't know if you're still there or not. It's 6 p.m. here in S.Africa so it's still daytime for you over there. Praying for you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henrietta FrankenseeDecember 30, 2010 at 5:22 PM

    How exciting! Please tell us, are all the movies you see at the Festival made in Hollywood? I saw a film called "The Godchild" which was made in Alberta, Canada. The director admitted he was not 'religious' (not christian) however he sited 'the Almighty' when describing how a particular scene came together beyond his expectations. It doesn't matter how he views his Creator, his film evokes eternity in an earthy, captivating, homely, way. I too shall pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're always on my prayer list. God is speaking to you right now. He will make a way in the wilderness. Thank you for your obedience to His will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments and prayers. The festival was wonderful, and I had no idea they were going to call me up front during the award ceremony and present me with an award as an honorary member of the Director's Circle! And no, most of the films were not made in Hollywood. I met so many lovely people, and will share more about it in another post. Blessings to you all, sweet friends!

    ReplyDelete